Mexicana® Stuffed Chicken Thighs
with Spicy Mayo-free Slaw
For the stuffing:
- 120g Mexicana, grated
- 80g white breadcrumbs
- 12 Picanté peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 Skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 8 Slices of streaky bacon
For the spicy slaw:
- ¼ White cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 Large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 Small red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 3-4 Radish, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 red or green chilli, cored, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh coriander, chopped (optional)
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs lime juice
1. Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas mark 6.
2. Prepare the stuffing by simply seasoning the stuffing ingredients and mix in a bowl.
3. Trim any excess fat from each chicken thigh and open the thighs out on a chopping board. Divide the stuffing into 8 equal portions and use your hands to create 8 sausage shapes about the same length as the width of the chicken thighs. Lay each stuffing sausage on one end of a thigh and carefully roll the chicken as tightly as possible around the stuffing.
4. Wrap the bacon around the chicken to secure the stuffing inside.
Tip: You can stretch the bacon by holding one end of a rasher with one hand and drag a knife at approximately 45 degrees down the length of the bacon. This will give you a longer, thinner rasher to wrap around the chicken.
5. Place each wrapped thigh on a lightly greased baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and the chicken is cooked.
6. To make the spicy slaw, simply mix all the vegetables, chilli and coriander together in a bowl and season to taste with salt & pepper. In a small bowl, mix the olive oil and lime juice pour over the vegetables and stir well. Garnish with a little more coriander before serving.
You can also use roasted peppers or sundried tomatoes in the stuffing. You’ll need about 2 heaped tablespoons to replace the picanté peppers.
Premium adult sodas pair well with cheese, because of the carbonation. The little bubbles lift the fat from your tongue, refreshing your palate. So, as it’s January and we’re trying to be healthy, why not try a non-alcoholic pop with this recipe?
ENJOY A SPICY TASTE ADVENTURE!
Mexicana® Extra Hot